[Advaita-l] Is the concept of maya essential to explain advaita?

Sudhakar Kabra sudhakarkabra at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 21:04:49 CST 2012

--- On Tue, 1/24/12, Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Is the concept of maya essential to explain advaita?
To: "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 4:01 AM

Please clarify with an yes or no.

>From a vyavahara perspective, the world is said to be unreal.
No, from vyavahara perspective the world is very much real.
>It is likened to a dream.
No, dream has a lesser level of reality.Examples are given to make us understand the concept.

>But Ishwara is considered to be real not compared to a dream. Therefore, my understanding is that Ishwara  has higher reality than jagat  in advaita. Is that right?
Brahman with his maya shakti becomes Ishwara who is the supporter of all these activities and has a reality to that level.

>Now, the jagat karanatvam is a tatastha lakshana of Ishwara but He
exists (beyond time and space) even when jagat does not. Is that
right?
Is it Brahman or Ishwara??? Swaroop and tatastha lakshana are spoken for whom.

>At this stage, His maya shakti exists as His aisvarya non-different
from Him  as well just as sun and its heat are inseparable. Is that
right?

>The essential nature of this Ishwara (jiva and jagat) is called
Brahman, beyond all philosophical constructs. Is that right?
Ultimately all this is Brahman but because of avidya we hardly fail to realize thisregardsS.Kabra

Sent from my mobile device