[Advaita-l] Is the concept of maya essential to explain advaita?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 10:01:24 CST 2012

> A Pot only
> B Pot and Clay only
> C Clay only
> D Brahman only but not Pot not Clay
> E Brahman and Clay only
> F Brahman and Pot only
> G Brahman and Pot and Clay
>
> I think ignorant person will see Pot. We can also tell him it is a
> clay pot and he will see clay also. A pseudo Jnani will see C and
> think he is very intelligent.
>
> Mayavada is saying Jnani will see D. Pot and Clay will vanish. This is
> the problem. It is not correct to say the Pot and Clay will get
> destroyed by Jnana. The Pot and Clay will still be there but he will
> see the base Brahman. I am saying he will see G.

Wonderful. All I will quote in response is this,

manasaivAnudrashTavyaM neha nAnAsti kiMcana |
mRtyos sa mRtyum Apnoti ya iha nAneva paSyati ||

You ought to know where this is from. Please try to understand what it means
for what a jnAnI "sees", why and with what.

And to close, let me reiterate that all the confusion lies in your head. You refuse
to engage in proper study and you prefer to "understand" advaita largely through
what its critics say about it. No wonder you are confused. Do not blame the so-
called bogey of "mAyAvAda" for your confusion. All the mAyA and all the vAda
is of your own making!

Vidyasankar