[Advaita-l] Brahman knowing itself?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 11:47:02 CDT 2012

You can study the Br.Up. mantra 2.5.19  (along with Shankaracharya's
commentary) starting with 'idam vai tan madhu....rUpam rUpam pratirUpo
 babhUva *tadasya rUpam praticakShaNAya.*..'

 //Why did He become all this?  In order that He becomes known to all
in His true state.  In case He had not manifested Himself in all these
names and forms, His nirupAdhika nature woul never become known.....//

So, it is with a view to enable 'others' (who are Brahman alone in
truth) realize Brahman (themselves) this creation/manifestation has
taken place.  In a deeper sense, actually there has been no creation
at all.  Yet the shAstra 'validates' a creation by giving so many
details with a view to enable the aspirant to get self-realization.
In Taittiriya bhashyam Shankara says: creation is for establishing the
Anantya of Brahman - AnantyapratipAdanAt.

Regards
subrahmanian.v