[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 01:41:20 CDT 2012

On 7/3/12, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > RV: I think we can say that the different darshanas are eternal
>> > according
>> > to Vedic tradition but we cannot say humans evolved. Sringeri acharya
>> > has
>> > rightly rejected the pro-evolution position on the grounds that in the
>> > pre- rishi period there will be no revelation of dharma.
>
> If you read the talks carefully, what he has rejected is the view that
> human
> intelligence evolved over time after the emergence of the species called
> Homo
> sapiens. And this is based on the classic vedAntic analogy comparing
> creation
> with a dream. However, the Sringeri Acharya has also not taken as hard a
> position as one would expect from an anti-science perspective and he has
> allowed that other kinds of interpretation are also possible. Thanks to a
> silent
> reader of the list, I now have access to the translation of the relevant
> talk into
> Hindi, in which the Sringeri Acharya says,
>
> "isliye yah sambhav hai ki manushya vikasit mastishk ke sAth hI prakaTit
> huA.
> maine tumhe ek prakAr ke samAdhAn kI jhalak dI. vibhinn prakAr ke samAdhAn
> bhI diye jA sakte hain."
>
> I hope a further translation into English is not necessary, but what this
> tells me
> is in perfect consonance with what I remember of the Sringeri Acharya's
> open-
> mindedness and attitude towards the modern sciences.
>
> This is an intriguing challenge to the biologist, not to assume that the
> very first
> wo/man did not have the fully developed intellectual abilities of modern
> human
> beings. In socio-cultural terms and in biological terms, this challenge
> calls upon
> the rigorous scientist to re-examine what is the meant by human
> intelligence. I
> will leave this personal excursion into evolutionary biology with this.

Thanks for that observation.  If the Evolutionists concede the above
perhaps it would not leave much of evolution in that theory:

//First human was not like us and they were more like Apes (Homo
Erectus, Neanderthal and transitional types between Neanderthal and
modern man) and by gradual evolutionary changes—modern humans have
been finally evolved.//

//Science does not believe in CREATION theory and Religion does not
believe in EVOLUTION theory. Truth is, if Religion wants to mix-up
with evolution then, we shall have to consider Adam# as Ape-like
Neanderthal or Homo-erectus early human having smaller brain, *and not
a perfect human having all the intelligential qualities*, as the Bible
or Quran described so eloquently for all believers!//

[# For 'Adam' and 'Eve' we can read the 'manu' and 'shatarUpaa' that
BrahmA created out of himself to propagate the human species. ]

//About 2-6 million years ago, early ape-like Humans were evolved from
mammals in Kenya, Africa. Early humans were spread to Europe, Asia
from African continent.//

Excerpted from an article that is even otherwise informative:

http://www.faithfreedom.org/one/evolutionary-science-vs-creation-theory-and-intellectual-hypocrisy/

subrahmanian.v