[Advaita-l] Is the idea of 'anAditva' logical?

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 4 01:16:02 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms Sri Anand Hudli prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> I dont know why, after reading somany times about 'hagalu' (day) and
> 'rAtri' (night) of mAnava, pitru, deva, brahma & their kAlAvadhi etc. my
> mind started recalling geeta verse : yA nishA sarvabhutAnAM tasyAM jAgarti
> saMyami, yasyAM jAgrati bhUtAni sA nishA pashyatO muneH...Is there any
> symbolical (esoteric) philosophical meaning to these siddhanta-s
> prabhuji??

In the context of the gItA verse you have cited, the night is the ignorance
of the ParamArtha tattva. One who does not know the ParamArtha tattva is
experiencing night, i.e. darkness, ignorance. For the sage who has realized
the ParamArtha tatva, it is day. For him the state of ignorance is night,
but in the same state those who are ignorant are engaged in numerous
activities, all under the realm of mAyA. Here the state of ignorance is
being stated as night and the state of ParamArtha is being stated as day.
Typically, night is associated with darkness, ignorance, inactivity, sleep,
etc., and day is opposed to those qualities. This holds even for beings
other than humans. For example, in dakShiNAyana, which is night for the
gods, auspicious ceremonies are avoided. In fact, the "shayanotsava" of
various deities is also celebrated at the beginning of this period which
roughly corresponds to the beginning of the chAturmAsya period. Ceremonies
such as the upanayana and marriage (as far as possible) are to be done in
uttarAyaNa only.

Anand