[Advaita-l] Sandhyavandana procedure doubt

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 12:49:53 CDT 2012

Namaste,

I think eka-vastram is the practice when one takes bath in a river and performs the pratah-sandhya in the river itself. At other times two  clothes are required for all religious functions. Even in the pitri-karya the second cloth is kept on the knee during the performance of the Pitri-karya and it is not put on the body as it may come in the way of making alternate savya and apasavya positioning of the Yajnopavita. However if the climatic conditions, such as high humidity and high ambient temperature, make the wearing of the upper cloth uncomfortable, then one need not wear the upper cloth but can keep that handy. When we go to our guru we should have the upper cloth with us so that we can accept what the Guru may give us, by spreading that cloth on hands. It is customary not to accept hand to hand from the guru. That may be in order to show respect to the guru.  However I am open to correction.

Regards,
Sunil KB