[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Jul 12 10:14:23 CDT 2012

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> In Sri Shivashankar's case, it is a matter between him and the guru who
> agreed to invest him with an upanayana. I don't think anybody else has a
> right to tell him to take it off and do something else, just because such a
> course of action would constitute a breach of his dharma towards his guru.

The reason for telling him that is because pApa causes injury in this life
and the next.  (As part of the Hindu fold I expect Shivashankara
believes that.) As long as there is doubt, one should refrain from
potentially dangerous actions.  I don't see why one shouldn't wait for
clarification.  If a guru says "You have to write me a check for $10,000
before you can proceed to the next spiritual level"  (And we all know
there are such gurus some of whom call themselves Advaitins.) would it be
a breach of dharma to ask why he is asking such a thing before handing
over ones savings?  What kind of friend would I be if I let my friend
be tricked like that?