[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 04:32:27 CDT 2012

Dear Sri Praveen,

If there is a disagreement, it does not mean that there is disrespect for
the person or disregard for his scholarly credentials. We are not made of
glass and debates are not stones. In puruit of knowledge, let us not remain
complacent.

Our position in vaidhika matters should be based on smrti and ultimately
sruti. It cannot be based on individual or group sentiments, however strong
they may be. There is ample evidence that women were rishis who revealed
mantras. In the Vedic anukramani, 23 out of 423 rishis listed are women.
There is no apa-stri-adhikaranam. There is evidence that Sita had undergone
upanayanam. And this practice was present until the time of Gupta period. I
have personally seen archaelogical evidence for this.

 There is no adhikaranam that says that people belonging to only particular
country or race are eligible and those of other countries were ineligible.

The only prohibition is for those who belong to sudra varna. There are
number of jatis that belong to sudra varna. We have historical evidence to
show jatis once considered Sudra were at different times considered
kshatriya or brahmana. Even Manu gives the seven generation rule for
changing varna in both anuloma and pratiloma marriages.

 There is no ritual, happy to be corrected, that expects you to say the
jati before upanayanam.

My position is that jati is one of the easy indicators of the varna of an
individual. In the absence of jati - varna linkage, we can use astrology to
determine the varna.  If the inclusive approach is completely anti- dharma,
will Sringeri Acharya say he is same- minded as Swami Dayananda? And give
award?

Best Regards
Rajaram Venkataramani