[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 04:28:09 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> From the above it is clear that all the three varNa-s for whom Vedic rites
> are prescribed were created 'at once'.
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> I think, instead of taking the literal meaning, we should see the broader
> picture from the vedAntik perspective.  i.e. from the veda purusha
> everything originated and he pervades & goes beyond it also (sabhumim
> vishvatO vrutvA, atyatishTadashAngulaM, purusha evedagaM sarvaM,
> yadbhutaM, yaccha bhavyaM etc. in purusha sUkta).  As we know, 'srushti
> krama' is not uniform even in shruti and it is only upAya to saying
> something else.  So, taking these things literally without keeping the
> sarvavyApakatva of brahman in mind would lead to further confusions like :
>  whether these varNa-s generated/originated in groups all of a sudden from
> him, whether brAhmaNa, kshatriya & vaishya born from that purusha's mukha,
> bAhu, Uru respectively  with yagnOpaveeta on their shoulders and holding
> samits, dharba, sword in their hands?   and shUdra-s without  this and
> with only service mentality to the other three varNa-s originated from the
> top portion of this purusha !!??  and what about foreigners who are
> neither belong to any of these four varNa-s??
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

There need not be anything funny about the literal taking of these
mantras.  I agree that the mukha, thigh, hands, feet, etc. of Brahman are
only figurative, even as the oceans are said to be His (urinary) bladder.
But the first humans can be admitted to be born as in their grown up forms
alone, just as it is admitted in the svarga nivaasi-s, etc.  The Bh.Gita
bhashya introduction says:  marIchyAdIn agre sRShTvA...for the purpose of
pravRtti dharma.  And in the Puranas too the prajApati-s produced the first
beings and they in turn brought forth the creation through regular off
springs.  BrahmA is said to have produced manu and shatarUpaa from himself
and through them the human race started multiplying.

subrahmanian.v