[Advaita-l] Cotard Syndrome and Brahman Realisation

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:31:28 CDT 2012

There are some slokas such as bhaja govindam which talk about an ardent
sadhaka acting as a mad man. But I did not say that a jnani is mentally ill
because I guess understand the spirit of these verses and have at least
some respect for our traditions. In fact I argue below that tattva jnana is
like understanding the nature of reality akin to understanding that the
body is made of carbon, water etc. I just think that certain practices such
as nidhidhyasana *may* bring about neurological changes. If we see a
picture of food, there will be saliva in the mouth. If we keep telling
ourselves that this is just a picture and not real food, we may not
salivate after repeated conditioning. Like that, if we repeatedly tell
ourselves that the world is mithya we should expect that we will not react
with attraction or aversion as a normal person would. It is logical to
expect that a similar reaction will happen if we damage the portions of the
brain responsible for causing response to stimuli (as in the case of
diseases).

But I think a jnani is able to reverse the conditioning instantaneously.
So, the question was whether his brain undergoes a change or not?