[Advaita-l] Cotard Syndrome and Brahman Realisation

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 08:46:26 CDT 2012

Dear Sri Subrahmanian, your patient, truthful and scholarly analysis on variety of topics in advaita is commendable. I also thank those who criticise these enquiries in unpleasant terms because in the background of such dark contrast  good qualities like the above shine better.

BTW, there are two views expressed here. One is Sakshi is able to see without the instrument of the mind. Second is it is not able to see  without the instrument of the mind. What is the advaita position(s)?

We all witness the mind as in "This is what is going on in my mind or I am thinking about brahman". Is it sakshi or ahankara that we all talk about in these cases? As ahankara is also inert and we see that we objectify ego, I suppose it is Sakshi?

The main question is why does a jnani not always witness his (mal)functional mind? This is what leads to the suspicion that sakshi bhava could be the result of only neurological change. If it is indeed so, we should be able to induce it in interested persons without the need for traditional practices just as we alter memory using drugs. Is it not?

Best Regards