[Advaita-l] Pancha Kanya Questions

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jun 12 22:46:19 CDT 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Bhaskar YR wrote:

>> IMHO, moderators intervention is necessary to censor the topics which is
> obviously out of the scope of the list.  Otherwise, topics which is
> totally irrelevant to the list discussion will keep flowing.

Well questions related to puranas and the intersection of science and
dharmic concepts are not totally irrelevant though perhaps they are not
the direction a sadhaka should be headed in but thats something
individuals have to work out for themselves.

>  I think this directional guide lines to the members should come from
> the moderators' desk.  So that it would carry some weight & members have
> to listen to it and would definitely restrain themselves from posting
> irrelevant & profligate mails.

Call me an idealist but I think someone who wishes to pursue Advaita
Vedanta should be able to restrain themselves without the services of a
babysitter.  If it turns out they do I'll reluctantly step in but I'd
rather not make that the first resort.

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan wrote:

> No. The problem is there is no *self effort* to first trace scriptural
> references and then ask questions based on those references. But I
> don't see any such thing here. People just shoot off random nonsense -
> whatever comes to their mind with no effort to connect up anything to
> the scriptures. Surely it is not a stretch to expect someone to first
> pick up the rAmAyana and see what it has to say about tArA before
> spouting off about tArA.

I fervently wish it were true but unfortunately it _is_ a stretch for
many.  Somewhere along the line a large number of Hindus lost the ability
to be anything but passive consumers of their past and traditions.  They
need retraining not haranguing.  Or perhaps both.  But atleast if they are
asking questions it is a good first step.