[Advaita-l] Dharma is for a body (was Re: : Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?)

Sudhakar Kabra sudhakarkabra at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 21:11:07 CDT 2012

--- On Fri, 6/15/12, S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Advaita-l] Dhar is for a body (was Re: : Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?)
To: "advaita" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
Date: Friday, June 15, 2012, 12:27 AM

>Dharma is moral action for a body.
(Yoga is a "Higher Dharma" for the mind, but that's a different matter).

Dharma being an act, there has to be a karta. The phala of dharma accrues to the karta as per the bhavana it is being done and the proper procedure prescribed in the scriptures. Incidentally yoga is not a higher dharma of mind..
The result of a finite act will always be finite.

>Then how is it that Dharma, which is moral or ethical action enjoined on the body, actually helps with Self-realization?

Dharma helps to attain chitta shuddhi, which is required for the shuddha jnana to arise.

>H.H. Chandrasekhara Bharati MahaswamigaL says (I think in His biography, am quoting the gist from memory here) that the Shastras enjoin action for which the results cannot be seen. One therefore performs the action with the belief that the result may be achieved in another life (different from the present one). This raises the conviction that the Self is NOT the (present) body!

>In other words, by performing the rituals that are enjoined by the Vedas, one automatically obtains the conviction that the Self and the body are different!

Even after getting the conviction that the self and the body is different, the result is still incomplete. The ultimate proclamation of the vedanta is "you are that" - and that is achieved by jnana through realization only.

Regards,
Kartik

Regards
Sudhakar kabra