[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 06:42:33 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> I shall not bother you by presenting further examples.
>
> praNAms Sri Shivashankara prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> Why I am getting this doubt  is, sometime back, I had asked a question to
> well respected scholar in this list with regard to upanayana saMskAra to
> one of the ligAyat boys whose father is ligAyat but mother is smArta
> brAhmin (love marriage!!:-)) who wants to get upanayana saMskAra done to
> her son!!  The answer from that scholar & also from Mattur pundits
> (including my guruji ) was strict 'NO'.

I recently heard this from a Kannada smArta family:  They have a son who
works in a small hotel as a cashier and finding a match for him was a great
difficulty.  They told me that many smarta/madhwa families have started
taking brides from a Lingayat sub-sect called 'panchama sAli'.  It is
learned that this sect is authorised to perform puja (archaka) in
Shiva/Devi Temples.  When my friend's family went to a house of this
community to see a prospective bride, they informed them that the elder
sister of this girl is married into a Madhwa family in Bangalore who gave
them (the bride's family) a decent sum of money apart from spending money
for the marriage themselves.  I heard that this practice of (arranged)
inter-marriage  between brahmins and panchama sAli-s is now becoming
popular.

So, smarta/madhwa families are getting 'cosmopoliton'.  I mentioned this
not as  a non-advaitic topic but since the discussion on conversion, etc.
is initiated now.  Many say those  brahmana men in the purohita profession
also face this difficulty and this solution is becoming popular.

subrahmanian.v