[Advaita-l] ’upAsana' and 'bhakti'

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 03:59:53 CST 2012

Namaste

Your description is matching the women in the temple dancing in front
of the Deity like Durga. The Deity has entered into the body of the
woman and she becomes that for some time. She will think she is not
the woman but Durga only. But after some time the Deity will leave the
body of the woman. Then she will say I don't remember what happened.

But Deity entering into the body is common in many places. This is not
same as Bhakti but something like Black magic.

Bhakti is better than Black Magic. Because Love of Paramatma is not
temporary like the Black Magic. It is permanent. The feeling of Love
is Permanent. It is not entering into the body and leaving after some
time. Bhakti is Sattvika way of pleasing the Deity.

-Venkatesh