[Advaita-l] Comments of an ISCKON follower

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 15:42:51 CDT 2012

Sri Krishna Chaitanya was initiated by Sri Kesava Bharathi, a sannyasi in
Sankara line. The gaudiya vaishnava explanation for this is that Sri
Krishna Chaitanya initiated Sri Kesava Bharathi in to vaishnavism first and
then got initiated by him! Then Sri Krishna Chaitanya's sannyasa will be
invalid because you cannot take sannyasa from your own disciple!! The
counter to that is that Sri Krishna Chaitanya got initiated in to sannyasa
mantras in his dream by a brahmana. A brahmana, who is not a sannyasi,
cannot give sannyasa diksha. So, that will also make his sannyasa invalid.
The third explanation is that he got initiated in to Sankara line because
he was instructed to do so by a divine brahmana in his dream but his mind
did not accept the tat tvam asi explanation of Sankara. It only accepted
the meaning of tasya tvam asi! If he did not accept the instruction of
Sankara, then also his sannyasa will be invalid. But that he accepted
Sankara line is evident from the fact that he shaved his head and removved
his thread. Such an act is considered to be inappropriate in the vaishnava
sampradayas. The textual evidence for this is there in all diaries of
Murari Gupta, Svarup Damodar, Chaitanya Mangala and Chaitanya Bhagavatha. A
painting commissioned by the Pratapuadra, the King of Orissa, who was a
contemporary of Sri Krishna Chaitanya also shows that he did not have
thread. So, it is beyond doubt clear that Sri Krishna Chaitanya is a
Sankaracharya. This sannyasa form of Sri Krishna Chaitanya is not
worshipped in gaudiya vaishnava circles. I will forward this painting in a
separe e-mail. He also followed the advaita commentary of Sridhara Swami.
The explanation for this is that Sri Krishna Chaitanya changed some of the
teachings of Sridhara Swami while explaining Bhagavatam to his students. It
is interesting that there is no record of the changes in the works of any
of the gosvamis!

The instruction to not read Sankara comes in Chaitanya Charitamrta, written
by Sri Krishnadas Kaviraj after his time. In fact, none of the six gosvamis
mention Sankara by name. Sri Jiva Gosvami, who was four years old when Sri
Krishna Chaitanya left, mentions Sankara indirectly with the words "tadiya
bhashye". Anyway, according to Chaitanya Charitamrta, Sri Krishna Chaitanya
said with regard to Sankara, "Acharya means Sankara" but with respec to
Sankara bhashya, "One who hears the mayavada bhashya will meet with total
destruction". This is clearly a later day development in the line of Sri
Krishna Chaitanya, a Sankaracharya. That Chaitanya Charitamrta twists the
position with respect to Sankara line will be clear on comparing its
description of Sarvabhauma incident with that described in Chaitanya
Bhagavatha, which is contemporary. In the latter, Sri Krishna Chaitanya
discusses bhakti with Sarvabhauma, a grahastha scholar in Sankara line.
Then he shows his six armed form as Rama, Krishan and Chaitanya. In
Chaitanya Charitamrta, he converts Sarvabhauma from Sankara line to
Vaishnavam!

Visvanath Chakravarthy, who came much after Sri Krishnadas Kaviraj, quotes
Gaudapada, Sankara, Sridhara and Madhusudana favourably. So, though he
accepted the philosophy of achintya bhedhAbheda, he did not seems to have
read Advaita works not minding the prohibition by Sri Krishna Chaitanya!