[Advaita-l] The nature of the jiva in Vedanta

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 05:23:08 CDT 2012

In gaudiya vaishnavam, there is mutual dependence betwee the jiva and
Ishwara in the liberated state. Ishwara is dependent on the jiva's use of
her free will to express love for Krishna. And the jiva is dependent on
Ishwara for His reciprocation of that love. This unconditional love is a
unique capability of consciousness, which should not be lost in the process
of getting rid of material miseries. Their objection to moksha in advaitam
is that Brahman does not even know I exist. It is like a lump of salt.
Their objection to moksha in other vaishnava schools is that liberation
from material miseries is given too much importance compared to the fruit
of this liberation namely bhakti.