[Advaita-l] Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 08:45:36 CDT 2012

> Namaste Sri Sriram
>
> You have given very nice details regarding Gayatri Japa. Thank you.
>
> There is one more question. Normally when we do Japa or Dhyana of
> something we have to close our eyes. I am doing Gayatri Japa with eyes
> closed. We are told to keep eyes closed in Pranayama. In doing Asanas
> we have to keep eyes open. But you are saying we have to Visualize a
> white light. In Trataka the eyes are open and focusing on one point.
>
> Are eyes open or closed in Gayatri Japa and Dhyana? Which is correct?

The wide variety of Asanas taught are meant to gain steadiness in practice.
But for japa, dhyAna, vicAra etc, one needs only padmAsana and the eyes
can well be closed!

In any case, the visualization is internal, in the mind's eye, not with the
external eye.

na sandRSe tishThati rUpam asya na cakshushA paSyati kaScanainam |
hRdA manIshA manasAbhiklpto ya enaM vidur amRtAs te bhavanti ||

Regards,
Vidyasankar