[Advaita-l] Sanskrit translation of means of liberation contd

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue May 29 12:05:25 CDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <
svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I would be grateful if
> > anybody has found the exact ancient reference to the verse tyāga eva hi
> sarveṣām
> > mokṣasādhanam uttamam etc, otherwise we are left with one of
> > 3 possibilities:
> >

> > 1) It belongs to an ancient work now lost and, by
> > implication, a number of repeated verses in the vartikas and Naishkarmya
> Siddhi
> > that have not been traced, may belong to now lost ancient texts,
> >
> > 2) It is composed by Suresvara himself and he chooses to use
> > it frequently,
>
> While no further along in identifying a source, I would also vote for the
> first choice
> above. Also, I have noticed that when making quotations in a poetic work,
> a certain
> amount of freedom seems to have been allowed, even when the source is
> Sruti.

I have heard it named: arthataH anuvAdaH and not shabdataH.

> e.g. I seem to remember a verse beginning, asanneva bhaved vidvAn asad
> brahmeti
> veda cet, which is obviously a reworded quotation of TU asanneva sa
> bhavati | asad
> brahmeti veda cet |.
>

> > 3) It opens up difficult questions on authorship of the
> > various works of Suresvara known as the vartikas and Naishkarmya Siddhi
> and
> > also whether interpolations and corruptions have entered the texts over
> time.
> > Many may know already of the observations that BSB and BUB have different
> > styles from each other, and that the interepretation of certain Shruti
> verses
> > in the Isopanishad Bhashya differ from
> > the interpretation given in BSB etc.
>
> I have not seen anyone seriously delving into the authorship question for
> the works
> of sureSvara. A project on this, with some scholarly focus on manuscript
> identification
> and unraveling their transmission lineages, along with trying to identify
> style markers
> for sureSvara's versifying, would be wish come true!
>
> Regards,
> Vidyasankar

I saw a reference to this topic of Sureshwara's identity and works in the
introduction to the Taittiriya Upanishad vartika published by the
University of Madras1984 edited by Dr.R.Balasubramanian.  It is on p.5 of
the book.  Names of Prof.M. Hiriyanna and S.Kuppuswami Sastry are mentioned
in the information on this topic.

subrahmanian.v