[Advaita-l] Bhagavad GIta - 745 Verses

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Nov 20 11:34:53 CST 2012

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012, Siva Senani Nori wrote:

> Sir   I was busy and could not respond immediately. Here are the
> details:   Gita Press. VI.43.4 (page No. 2813, 10th reprint of Sam.
> 2063), immediately after the ending of Bhagavadgita   षट्शतानि सविंशानि
> श्लोकानां प्राह केशवः । अर्जुनः सप्तपञ्चाशत् सप्तषष्टिं तु संजयः ।। 4 ।। धृतराष्ट्रः
> श्लोकमेकं गीताया मानमुच्यते ।

There is a similar controversy with the Durga Saptashati or Chandi Patha
which as the name suggests, should contain 700 shlokas but instead has
somewhat less.  Commentators like Shri Bhaskara Raya get around this by
counting each uvAcha (and also namah in "yA devI sarvabhuteShu...") as a
separate mantra.

Could some enterprising person count up the number of uvAcha's in the Gita
and see if it adds up to 45?