[Advaita-l] Bhagavad GIta - 745 Verses

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 14:03:59 CST 2012

I think this is a good observation. Thousand need not necessarily mean only one thousand exactly just like Shata need not mean exactly hundred as everything is God. God is everything and everything belongs to him. I too think that Adi Shankara could have made a general statement about 700 odd verses of the Bhagavad Gita and this could mean 745 verses as well. Vaishampayana told the Bharata to  Janemjaya and he refers to the Bhagavd Gita having 745 verses. It could be that while retelling that to the rishis in Naimisharanya Sauti could as well have omitted 45 verses from the Bhagavad Gita. It could then also be that when Adi Sankaracharya wanted to write a commentary on the Bhagavad Gita he asked someone to fetch him a copy of that and he  was supplied the version of the  Bhagavad Gita with 700 verses at that time. Later on Adi Sankaracharya found the original version. The original Bhagavad Gita has several verses common with the Kena upanishad and
 that may also be the reason why Adi Sankaracharya could have written the additional Vakya-bhashya on the Kena upanishad.