[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 23:19:04 CDT 2012

> nidhidhyAsana is the most important sAkshAt sAdhanA in the tradition. The
> following remark of Kanchi Maha SwamigaL makes it clear:
>
> "Remember our Acharya is one who gave the noblest status to the hearing
> (shravaNa) of the teaching from the guru. If the same Acharya says "Let it
> be understood that mananaM is a hundred times greater than shravaNaM".
> *shataguNaM vidyAn-mananaM*, then at how really a high level should
> shravaNaM be counted? And he doesn't stop there. If mananaM is a hundred
> times greater than shravaNaM, he says nidhidhyAsanaM is a hundred-thousand
> times greater than mananaM:

Viewed from this perspective it can be said that Sri Bhagwan only
restored the relative importance of shravaNa, manana and nididhyAsana
in self enquiry and brought it in line with tradition.

In my experience with many vedanta teachers the emphasis given to
shravaNa, manana and nididhyAsana is exactly in the reverse order with
shravaNa getting the highest importance followed by manana and
practically no emphasis on nididhyAsana.

praNAm