[Advaita-l] Why is there maya?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 20:40:40 CDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Suresh <mayavaadi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> I find this hard to understand. There is only one truth, nondual and
> eternal. But there is duality in this world because of maya. But why is
> there maya, where did it come from? What is it about Brahman's nature that
> it produces maya (which in turn produces this world of duality). Is there a
> purpose to it?
>
> Thanks,
> Suresh

Dear Suresh,

Actually there is no such entity called 'mAyA'.  It is provisionally
admitted just in order to explain samsAra.  Once the purpose of this
admittance is achieved mAyA is dropped.  This is called 'adhyAropa-apavAda'
in the Scripture.

Brahman does not produce mAyA.  The Bh.GitA 13th chapter says: prakRti
(another name for mAyA) is anAdi.

Regarding the purpose: at one stage it can be said the world is created in
order to provide the bhoga for the jiva-s who have accumulated karma.  But
at a higher level this explanation is also given up in order to let the
aspirant appreciate the non-dual Truth that is Advaita.

It would be a fine exercise to start listening to Swami Paramarthananda's
lectures on the Mandukya Upanishad in English spanning 80 hours.  This is
available in MP3 at the shAstraprakAshikaa trust, Chennai.  You can see
most of your questions answered by taking up this exercise sincerely.

Regards
subrahmanian.v