[Advaita-l] Eternal Loka

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 02:15:56 CDT 2012

On 29 October 2012 12:22, Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:
<< I am sure Ramnuja, Madhwa etc. also knew what is mimamsa, what is
adhyAropa apavAda, what are first principles, what is mukti. No
scholars worth his name will say they were naive. It is another thing
to disagree with them.>>

I had a specific modern group in mind when I used the word 'naive'.
You know what that group is.

As far as rAmAnuja or mAdhva are concerned, they were mahApuruSha-s in
their own way but their idea of bandha & mukti is different from that
of the advaitin-s. As far as advaita-vedAnta is concerned, a bheda is
a limitation and a mukti with limitations is no mukti at all.

The above is one of the "first principles" to be appreciated in order
to understand advaita. Other traditions have a different view of
bandha and so their view of mukti is different as well.

<<it is a fair question in my view to ask why Sankara says a mukta
does not act.>>

Because, from the first principles of advaita-vedAnta, it does not
make sense to talk of a mukta who "really" acts.

As an aside, one of the points on which most if not all Hindu
traditions agree is that a mukta transcends kartR^itvam. Of course,
their explanations differ.