[Advaita-l] Priority of Pramana based on Knowledge Domain

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 02:47:46 CDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM, <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sankara in his introduction to the gita talks about the Lord projecting
> the universe and creating marici, sanatana etc. The opinion that brahma did
> the srshti has been oft-repeated in traditional works. I'm aware of
> illustrative anecdotes in the puranas such as the story of the city of nine
> gates. But I'd like to know if there is any evidence in the works of
> sankara or gaudapada to reject the entire creation story in the puranas.

This is not the purport of Gaudapada's verse 3.15:

*मृल्लोहविस्फुलिङ्गाद्यैः सृष्टिर्या चोदिताऽन्यथा ।** उपायः सोऽवताराय
नास्ति भेदः कथञ्चन ॥*>* //The scriptural statements regarding the
creation,
 using the examples of ** earth, iron and sparks, etc. **is merely by
way of generating the idea of oneness;
multiplicity does not **really exist in any manner.//

This post has material that is very relevant to the present topic:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2010-February/023731.html
 <http://goog_155689382>
 <http://goog_155689382>*

 <http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2010-February/023731.html>