[Advaita-l] Is there a Cityupanisad?

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 05:44:57 CDT 2012

The reference says it all. The third chapter in the taittiriya aaraNyakam
is called the cityupanishad, although I have not heard of it being referred
to by that name.

The chapter starts citti sruk, cittamaajyam, ..., which may explain the
name.

The mantra being referred to is in the anuvaakam which begins suvarNaM
gharmaM pariveda venam, ... The exact reference is probably sarve vedaa
yatraikam bhavanti, sa maanasiina aatmaa janaanaam.

The entire chapter is about the inner meaning of Vedic yajnas.

No need for any costly photocopying. You can find the saayana bhaashyam for
the taittiriiya through google.

Rama