[Advaita-l] Supreme Brahman - the Ruler in Advaita?

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 10:45:32 CDT 2013

According to Madhusudana, there are three levels of bhakti as you may know. In the first level, the devotee thinks I am His. In the second level, he thinks He is mine. Both these think I am one and the Lord is another. At the highest level, which gopis were in, they realise "I am He". Please note such a jnani is a type of devotee according to Lord Krishna (BhG 7) and the highest. It is fallacious to argue that bhakti needs duality. In fact, as Madhusudana puts it, real devotion is possible only in non-dual state. All of us love our own self more than any one else as yajnavalkya says. Bhakti or love for Hari will be highest only for a jnani who knows Him to be the Self.