[Advaita-l] Narasimha and Gopala Tapani Upanishad

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 16:52:11 CDT 2013

Hare Krishna. There is also a commentary on Gopala Tapani Upanishad by
Visveswara, who I think Madhusudana's guru. Other commentaries are by Jiva,
Prabhodananda, Visvanatha and Baladeva. Apart from telling the famous
story where Yamuna gives way on asserting that Krishna is a brahmachari
and Durvasa had not eaten (after a big feast), the upanishad teaches an
eighteen syllable mantra. Though the gaudiya vaishnava acharyas have
commented on this upanishad, they dont give this mantra as diksha. I am
told that there is an atharva veda sakha in vogue in Gujarath which has
this upanishad. I would like to know if any one knows of the sakha and if
there is a practice among advaita acharyas to teach this eighteen syllabled
mantra in the upanishad. It fulfills all material desires and Brahma
creates the universe with this, according to the upanishad. For one who is
without desires, this mantra gives sAkshAtkAram of Sri Krishna and His
abode.