[Advaita-l] Need information on learning Vedas online

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Aug 17 01:41:52 CDT 2013

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, Shreekrishna wrote:

> SrigurubhyO namaH
>
> Respected members,
>
> I live in USA and I want to learn Yajurveda and Samaveda. I request you to
> let me know if you are aware of anybody who may be teaching these online
> (Skype/Google Talk etc.). I would really appreciate any help/guidance in
> this matter. While I am aware that this is certainly not the most ideal way
> of learning vedas, it is a meek compromise I have to make between living in
> a foreign land and satisfying my desire to learn vedas.

I don't know where in the US you are but before looking for a teacher over
skype, please check if you can find a teacher you can meet face-to-face.
In metropolitan areas it shouldn't be impossible to atleast learn
sandhyavandana and other nityakarmas that way though more advanced study
will be harder to manage.  Bottom line is skype should be your last
resort but better to take it if there is no other choice than to remain
ignorant.

Also I urge anyone in your position to emphasize a study of sanskrit and
shastras even above Vedas (except for nityakarma mantras) because that
will set the foundation for making it easier for the next generation to
progress.

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, rajaramvenk at gmail.com wrote:

> Hare Krishna! I don't think there should be any guilt about living in a
> foreign land.

I don't know about guilt but that bharatavarsha is a superior karmabhumi
and punyabhumi is undisputed.  Not being there definitely shouldn't be an
excuse for shirking ones duty though.

>  Let people in Indian celebrate Krishna Janmashtami at a
> scale they do in London and then lay claim to glory of vedic heritage.

Um you're not making a good case for living abroad if ISKCON is your
example!

> The expectation is for you to follow dress code (sans shikha)

I'm curious why not shikha?  That is one of the easiest vedic vidhis to
follow.

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, Venkatesh Murthy wrote:

> Namaste
>
> I think it is very difficult to follow Vaidika Marga in foreign countries.

I won't lie, yes it is.  But not impossible if you try and I offer myself
as an example.  I wasn't even born in India (UK to be precise) but people
seem to think I'm doing a decent job of it.  Ultimately "difficulty" is in
the eye of the beholder.  I'm sure even in the middle of Tirupati or Kashi
there are people making excuses about how hard it is.

> In USA and other western countries there are unlimited methods to satisfy
> the tongue and the sex organs that is Jihva and Upastha. You have to be
> very careful there.

True but do you think the same isn't true in Mumbai or Chennai or even in
small villages?

> What use is learning Vedas by Skype if we cannot give up desire for luxury
> things for Jihva and Upastha?

No use.  But mere location alone will not increase or decrease desires.
That is also in the individuals hands.