[Advaita-l] Desire, Jnana and Moksha

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 22:48:30 CST 2013

Dear All,

It would benefit many members to look into the archives for several
extracts from the Jivanmukti Viveka of Swami Vidyaranya.  In those extracts
the analysis of the person Sage Yajnavalkya (Y) is available.  In short,
Swami Vidyaranya takes up this case and at the outset establishes that Y is
an aparokShajnAni, a renowned Acharya of BrahmavidyA celebrated by the
Brihadaranyaka upanishad.  Later he goes on to show instances, available
from this very upanishad, to demonstrate how Y had given in to desire (for
wealth, cattle, name/fame), anger (cursing shAkalya to death), engaging in
debates, etc.  Finally the revered author shows that from the fact that Y
decided to renounce worldly life (he was still a householder with two
wives) in search of 'peace' to convey that Y, despite being an
aparokShajnani, with cessation of rebirth guaranteed, yet did not enjoy
peace, owing to desire, anger, etc. which co-existed with his aparoksha
jnanam.

Reading the various excerpts from the above work in the discussions would
put to rest several misconceptions about the concept of jnana, moksha,
vasana, prarabdha karma, jivan mukti, etc.

Above all it should be remembered that in Vedanta it is not that the
shruti/smRti is the ONLY pramANa.  Yukti, and more importantly,
vidvadanubhava, are also regarded as significant pramana-s.  While the
sthitaprajna lakshana detailed in the BG is a guide book, instances of
jnani-s available both in the upanishads and smrtis and outside them, in
the sampradaya, are all equally guides.  I am mentioning this in particular
reference to Sri Venkatesh's recent post citing the fifth chapter verses of
the BG.  What all this shows is: one might wish the jnani to be this way or
that but the 'vastu sthiti' should also be not lost sight of.  This is
exactly what the JMV has accomplished.

regards
subrahmanian.v