[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 01:21:01 CST 2013

> It is the same ajnAna that produced the present body which has been
> annulled by jnAna.  The jnAna dispels ajnAna and its effects no doubt.  But
> the present body that is a product of ajnAna does not get killed by jnAna
> immediately.  For anything to end, there is a certain process, also
> initiated by the system that started the thing, which is a part of the
> process.  So, the seer-seeing-seen triad, a product of ajnAna, will end
> with the end of the body, in due course.

RV: A process for creation or destruction is possible only with respect to
real objects but ajnAnA and its effects are unreal as brahman  is the only
reality. On dawn of jnAnA, there's no ajnAnA and the question of perceiving
its effects shouldn't arise. We should not see a shadow (jagat) when there
is no man (ajnAnA). It leads to the fallacy of effect without a cause. If
it is argued tha ajnAnA continues to exist in some form even after dawn of
jnAnA, it leads to the fallacy of jnAnAjnAna co-existence. It is like a
room that is both dark (ajnAnA) and light (jnAnA).

> Also, it is to be understood that knowledge only ends the satyatva buddhi
> with regard to the vastu.  When a person continues to perceive the world
> with the mithyAtva buddhi there is no problem absolutely.
>
> RV: The question of how you should see an object arises only with respect
to real objects. When the object is unreal, you should ask why do you even
see it? If you see a pot in an empty room where logically it has been
concluded that there is no pot, you will wonder whether you are
hallucinating. You will not conclude that it is okay to see unreal objects
as it does not affect. It will lead to a fallacy of seeing the unreal.
Also, the dualities - pains and pleasures - of the body and mind affect
them though it may not affect you, the brahman. I don't think the mithyAtva
buddhi solves the problem for your body or the mind. Your soul never had
the problem because it was untouched by the changes.