[Advaita-l] Omniscience, etc. only due to upAdhi

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Dec 30 03:52:57 CST 2013

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

>  its year end for me at office, bit busy with bread earning job:-))..so
kindly bear with me for this curt reply.

Actually only with  sarvajnatvaM, sarvashaktitvaM etc. Brahman (nirguNa.
Turiya) is called Ishwara (saguNa, sixth mantra of mAnDUkya - ESha
sarvajnaH...antaryAmi...).  That is the way Advaita distinguishes Brahman
from Ishwara.

>  but Ishwara is NOT different from brahman and if we are ready to accept
Ishwara is sarvajna, I am not able to understand why not brahman?? Does
parabrahman is inferior to Ishwara since he is lacking these qualities??!!
OTOH, I would say,  brahman's potence (shakti) which is inherent like
existence and jnAnaM will be active through upAdhi in srushti kriya.
Hence, we call the parabrahman itself as sOpAdhika brahman or saguNa
brahman to denote chetanatva behind srushti.  If we argue parabrahman is
minus sarvashaktitvaM and sarvajnatvaM we are restricting the parabrahma
tattva and implying that parabrahman would get sarvashaktitvaM and
sarvajnatvaM from jadOpAdhi then become Ishwara!!.

While attributing sarvajnatvaM, sarvashaktitvaM etc. to Brahman we see
these as taTasthalakShaNa and not svarUpalakShaNa.  'Inherent' means
svarUpa.

>  Yes, brahman's svarUpa is omnipotence, omniscience no matter whether
'omni' is there or not !!  And this inherent shaktitva will be displayed
through upAdhi in srushtikriya (creation) and karma phala distribution
etc. ekO devaH sarva bhUteshu gUdAH...kevalO nirhuNascha
....shvetAshvatara. Just like consciousness is the nature (svarUpa /
svabhAva) of brahman shakti, knowledge etc. are the nature of brahman.
jnAna, shakti, Ishitavya etc. are the nature (inherent) of para brahman
and parabrahman's these inherent nature is not borrowed one from upAdhi
when he becomes Ishwara (sOpAdhika).  To distinguish the difference
between shakti and shaktimAn, jnAna and jnAnavAn etc, the upAdhi-s have
been introduced and it does not anyway mean after getting upAdhi
brahman/Ishwara  would get the power  of sarvajnatvaM and sarvashaktitvaM.

It is essentially with a view to explain the 'everything' the shakti is
admitted.  'No shakti, no creation.'

>  Yes, no shakti means no creation but it does not mean no creation then
brahman would remain minus shakti. To be precise, creation depends on
Ishwara shakti but  Ishwara shakti would not vanish if creation is not
there since shakti, jnAna, chetanatvaM etc. are inherent to brahman !!
Hence, IMO, shakti, jnAna, consciounsness etc. are svarUpa lakshaNa ( not
tatastha lakshaNa which is temporary)  of parabrahman which would get
projected through upAdhi in srushti and with upAdhi (sOpAdhika) the same
parabrahman is called saguNa, sOpAdhika, kArya brahma.

>  We shall discuss this in detail with sUtra and itareya bhAshya.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar