[Advaita-l] I have a question on reading of Garuda Purana at home after the death of a relative *\(Father in my case)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 14:38:18 CST 2013

That is good, as to my knowledge, the departed soul hovers around the house for ten days and gets the complete astral body only by the end of the tenth day. So whatever is performed in the house, during those ten days of mourning, is observed by the departed (as if personally).

Some people believe that chanting of the Bhagavad Gita (when the person lies on the death-bed) is helpful.

Some people also believe in donating a cow during the Shraddha, so that the dead can cross the Vaitarani river, with the help of the cow. This may be something like getting Garuda's help in crossing the Vaitarani river by flying over it. This is however just a guess.  May be someone may tell us more on it.

There is also the practice of performing Shraddha in Gaya, by those who can make it.

Regards,
Sunil KB