[Advaita-l] Debate between Dwarka & Sumeru Shankaracharyas

Varadaraja Sharma rishyasrunga at rediffmail.com
Thu Jan 17 04:11:36 CST 2013

Radhe Krishna

Because of the server problem, my mail was missed and I am resending it.

“na karmaNa na prajayA dhanEna thyAgEnaikE amrutatvamAsasu:”

That was a typo. It should have been

“na karmaNa na prajayA dhanEna thyAgEnaikE amrutatvamAnasu:”

Sri Srikanta Narayanaswami while explaining, has mentioned,

"Na karmana na prajaya Dhanena thyagenaikenaiva amrutatva manashu".

The words “na eva” added after “thyAgenaike” is giving me confusion.  I
recollected the rk with swara, and as far as I remember, it is “thyAgenaike”.
Please correct me, if I am wrong.

-------------

Sri Vidyasankar :-

“Finally, remember that not anyone and everyone who wears an ochre robe and has a
sannyAsin name can be taken to be representative of the tradition. This is at the
crux of the issues being raised by svAmI svarUpAnanda with the kumbha mela
administration.”

"There is no mention of any maThas in any of the philosophical texts in the
advaita tradition. What is claimed as a list of institutons in the brahmasUtra
bhAshya TIkA is certainly not part of any TIkA. It is perhaps only a reference to
something that is said in a preface or foreword written by somebody in a printed
publication, within the last 100 years or so. It is patently false to claim that
seven principal seats are recognized, either
specifically in a TIkA or generally within the advaita tradition."

Sri Venkata Sriram :-

“BTW, everybody knows the credentials of sumeru mutt who are involved in several
controversies.”

"It is the cheap publicity stunt of narendrananda saraswati for attracting the
public attention which is for cheap popularity.  He himself asked the media to
publish the news.

So, nothing to worry about and beware of such *nishiddha gurus* in kali yuga."

---------

Sirs, in this regard, I would like to invite your attention to the following url

http://www.kamakotimandali.com/blog/index.php?p=991&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I am not aware of the authorship or authenticity of the
sthothra,श्रीमच्छङ्कराचार्यस्थापितमठेतिवृत्तम्

the stanza ----

अथोर्ध्वे शेष आम्नायास्ते विज्ञानैकविग्रहाः |
पञ्चमस्तूर्ध्व आम्नायः सुमेरुर्मठ उच्यते ||
सम्प्रदायोऽस्य काशी स्यात्सत्यज्ञानाभिदे पदे |
कैलासः क्षेत्रमित्युक्तं देवता तु निरञ्जनः ||

Whereas as per the tradition, it is CaturAmnayam, this sthothra speaks about 7
Amnayas. The sumeru maTa is mentioned as Urdva AmnAya apart from the traditional
four Amnayas.

Ofcourse, leaving beside the fact of "*nishiddha gurus* in kali yuga.", I would
like to know about the authorship and the authenticity of this sthothra since the
same is found in an esteemed and informed list.

Radhe Krishna