[Advaita-l] Vedas are not apauresheya according to the Vedas ?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 18:18:13 CST 2013

> There can be different reasons why one accepts (or rejects) vedas as a pramana but all reasons are not equally well thought through.
>
> If pauresheya vedas are a pramana, then we can as well accept jesus or mohammad as rishis and give their teaching equal weight as you'd to the vedas.

This is a fundamental point of departure. I see no reason for any Hindu to accept Jesus or Mohammad or anyone else on an equal par with Sruti. There is no reason why the biblical Gospels or the Quran should be pramANa for those who are not Christians or Muslims. The most that a Hindu could do is to take these as yet more smRti-s within the human legacy. However, it would be a rather trivial exercise to show fundamental contradictions of large parts of these texts with Sruti and to say that they are not acceptable to SishTa-s. What can be accepted by someone in a vaidika traditon is only that portion of the Bible or the Quran that does not contradict the veda. There is a reason why Christianity and Islam have existed in India almost since their birth, yet no vaidika traditional thinker of any sampradAya has felt any need to do as you claim.

It seems to me you are attempting a sort of universal argument about *our* scripture that you would expect every single human being to accept, including Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists and others. I think that is an impossible exercise.

So, I suppose a fundamental issue is this. Are you interested in elucidating veda apaurusheyatva in order to convince the general Hindu on the street or are you interested in it for the sake of arguing with Christians and Muslims who argue for the exclusive claim to truth in their own respective texts? If the latter, then there are many other means to do it, instead of going after apaurusheyatva of the veda.

> But even a Sankara established siddhanta on the basis of shruti and smrti. And even smrti is not valid if it contradicts shruti because the latter is apauresheya and hence pramana. Otherwise, there is no difference between the two

Within the Astika milieu, the authority of smRti is accepted as secondary to that of Sruti both by those who accept apaurusheyatva of Sruti and by those who reject apaurusheyatva of Sruti. The only other criterion for accepting a given smRti as a pramANa would be to hold that the said smRti is accepted by SishTa-s, but in an indirect way, this again makes its authority dependent on that of Sruti, because a SishTa, by definition, already holds that Sruti is pramANa. So again, apaurusheyatva is not an invariable prerequisite for accepting smRti pramANa.

Regards,
Vidyasankar