[Advaita-l] On rationality; was "Vedas are not apauresheya according to the Vedas ?"

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 13:11:49 CST 2013

Namaste,

Time and again in these issues, we have to remind ourselves that any stance
one takes about the veda has to be comprehensive for all of it. While in vedAnta
we concentrate on the upanishad portions, we should not lose sight of the fact
that there is a lot of material in the veda that lies outside of the upanishads. Any
stance we take on what apaurusheyatva means should be consistent for all of it.

AtmajnAna, as conveyed by the Sruti, is unique, in that an approach to jnAna is
also a matter of anubhava. However, there are other kinds of jnAna conveyed by
the Sruti, all vyAvahArika no doubt, all aparA vidyA no doubt, but which are not
a matter of direct anubhava. If accepting apaurusheyatva of the veda is not to
one's liking or if accepting it as ISvara-authored is not to one's liking, then one
has to have a consistent view of what one likes, as regards the entire veda. It
is not right to talk about the issue as if affects only the vedAnta jnAna portion
and that we have a workaround anyway, because of our anubhava.
Unquote

The concern of the Vedas is confined within the creation including the different beings (including even the deities) within it at different spiritual levels.The apaurusheyatva from the Vedic angle would mean that there has not been any author of the Veda (i.e., there has not been any source of the Veda) from within the creation, which however is difficult to prove logically. From the Vedic angle one has to accept the apaurusheyatva only as a hypothesis and this hypothesis cannot be challenged.  However from the Vedantic angle the situation is different. While explaining the Purusha sukta the Vedanta takes a stand like Lord Krishna did, when He talked about the creation that he created only with a fraction of Him. The Lord is within the creation as well as outside it. He can be the source even being outside the creation. Thus the Veda can be apaurusheya, ie.,  there need not have been any author exclusively within the creation.

Regards,
Sunil KB