[Advaita-l] On rationality; was "Vedas are not apauresheya according to the Vedas ?"

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Jan 22 23:23:52 CST 2013

praNAms Sri Rajaram prabhuji
Hare Krishna

You experience sorrow. How do you know without shruti that your nature is
ananda?

> some of the paurusheya texts too (like geeta) teaching us that our true
nature is Ananda or dvandvAteeta.

Even if you say I know it by understanding that sorrow is related to
objects such as the mind, how do you know you, the self, will not die.

>  again paurusheya texts like geeta (na hanyate hanyamAne shareere, dehee
nityamavadhOyaM, vAsAmsi jeerNAsi yatho vihAya)too teaches us self will
not die, why we should depend on shruti to know all these details that too
pasting the label of aparusheyatva on it??  If the sAdhaka/mumukshu find
the same tattva in paurusheya smruti texts and realized his svarUpa, can
he not attain mOksha even knowing that there exist some un authored texts
like veda-s??

If you say some great man said so or ishwara, how do you know someone is
great or ishwara? You want to be an advaitin (or any vaidhika) you got to
understand and accept veda apauresheya.

>  I am at loss to understand why a vaidhika has to invariably treat
veda-s as apaurusheya when he is equally treating the other two
prasthAna-s (smruti & nyAya) as valid & sacred. Dont we see the vAkyArtha
of shruti will be done on paurusheya nyAya prasthAna & commentaries on it
??  It has been said that for the mumukshu-s who donot have vedAdhikAra,
the smruti and purANa texts would suffice to fetch the mOksha jnAna, so
for them vedA-s, its uncontional acceptance of aparusheyatva, its
importance etc. hardly a matter of concern.  Under these circumstances,
how can we force one to accept the aparusheyatva of veda-s and its
ultimate parmAnatva for the mOksha jnAna??

You can learn every thing from pauresheya texts but their validity is
dependent on apauresheya veda. Moon light is a reflection of sun's light.
It may be cooler but it can't exist without sun light.

>  IMHO, for that one need not have to treat vedA-s as apaurusheya, we can
always infer that the veda-s are like main text book and  smruti and other
texts are the digestive form of these original text books!! is there any
harm in treating both of them as paurusheya texts ??

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar