[Advaita-l] On rationality; was "Vedas are not apauresheya according to the Vedas ?"

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Jan 25 04:32:50 CST 2013

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Neither.

>  surprising!!  In this thread, I think, you only quoted shruti, smruti
texts to substantiate your claim on veda-s apaurusheyatva, that is what
(a) I was talking.  And Secondly (b) is H.H. commentary on V.C. to show us
that a paurusheya work can be held to  prove apaurusheyatva.  Now you are
telling, you said neither (a) nor (b), surprising indeed.

I am surprised that you have not realized that Advaita holds the
Veda to be apaurusheya on the anupalabdhi pramANam and note that it is not
a 'belief system' as you have been caricaturing it.

>  I think this is the first time in this thread you are telling me that
advaita uses anupalabdhi pramANam, anyway, without going into the details
of it.  I request you to clarify in detail, how the anupalabdhi pramANam
is fool-proof to establish the apaurusheyatva of veda-s and also clarify
the 'vyApti' of this pramANa whether it is restricted ONLY to veda-s or
the scope of it can be extended to all other anonymous literature.

>  As a side note, when I was talking about the topic 'praMANa-s' with
some scholar (not definitely from Sri SSS's camp, you can be rest assured
:-)) he clarified that 'anupalabdhi' has been treated as valid pramANa
ONLY in purvamImAmsaka's works, but shankara counted the pramANa-s as ONLY
5 i.e. pratyaksha, anumAna, upamAna, arthApatii and Agama.  And nowhere he
talked about this anupalabdhi as the sixth valid pramANa to establish
'anything'.  Anyway, if you have any reference to this pramANa in shankara
bhAshya, I'd like to be corrected.

And also note that the Sringeri Acharya who wrote those lines has not
excluded himself from the
other puruSha authors.  And our regarding the pUrvAchArya-s and other
smRtikAra-s as venerable ones is only because at the base of their
greatness lies the Veda that is the source of all their accomplishment.

>  Yes, we can always  say veda-s are the source  material for the
smruti-s, but it does not mean veda-s has to be aparusheya to become the
source material!!  An apex court case study & verdict could be the
reference material for the lower courts while clearing the pending cases
and giving the judgement.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar