[Advaita-l] Re The stance of the upadeshasaahasrii on Ignorance, Deep Sleep

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Jun 6 05:29:16 CDT 2013

praNAms Sri Karthik prabhuji
Hare Krishna

If Deep Sleep were really the paramArtha state, would Sankara ask
us to reject it or remain in it?

>  I must reiterate ( as I did n'no. of times in this list itself) that
those who say in sushupti jeeva would become 'ekeebhuta' and experiences
the 'athighni' type of Ananada do not anyway declaring : 'go to sushupti
get mukti'.  Having said this it is a matter of fact that in prasthAna
traya bhAshya of shankara, 'sushupti' has been viewed from various stand
points and one of those stand point will be saying that 'sushupti' is the
state where jeeva merges in brahman. When this state is viewed from
pAramArthika siddhAnta drushti ( that is without superimposing the avidyA
(jnAnAbhAva rUpa) to the jeeva in sushupti) some amazing and unbelievable
declarations come from both shruti and shankara.  ONe of the foremost
example for this is where shankara says ajnAna hetu in sushupti is
'ekatva' not mUlAvidyA nor agrahaNAtmaka avidyA.  tatra ajnAna hetuM
ekatvameva tadajnAnahetuH !!??  If the sushupti is really full of avidyA,
why shankara says here ajnAna hetu is ekatva??  Hence, there is various
view points through which we have to approach sushupti to understand its
importance in entirety.

What you call mukti is available as a sleeping pill in your local
pharmacy!

>  IMHO, we cannot not push aside this state as mere tamO pradhAna when
this state is dealt in great detail in bhAshya-s from various angles.
Ofcourse, sushupti is not the mukti avastha per se, but shankara says
'sushupti viveka' is enough to know  the would be state of muktAvastha.
saMprasAda sthAnaM mOksha drushtAnta bhUtaM, clearly says shankara in
bruhadAraNyaka. He continues here : sarvAtmanO hi brahmaNO drushtAntatvena
pradarshitaM etad rUpaM ' tadvA asya etat AptakAmaM AtmakAmaM akAmaM etat
rUpaM iti, tasya hi dArshtrAntikabhUtO ayamartha upasaMhreeyate atha
akAmayamAna ityAdinaa...For explaining the sarvAtmakatva of jeeva shankara
takes here sushupti as drushtAnta.  And as we all know, to state the
paramArtha state, we often take the example of atra veda aveda bhavanti.
deva adeva bhavati etc. from bruhadAraNyaka which is said while explaining
the sushupti avasthA in shruti!!  So, IMO, sushupti has its own importance
in siddhAnta nirNaya and it cannot be a negligible state.

>  Anyway, this is my opinion, you can correct me if I said anything wrong
here.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar