[Advaita-l] Naivedya question

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 05:56:27 CDT 2013

Shree Sriram answered beautifully. As a side note naivedyam is what you offer and when Bhagavan accepts it and returns it back taking only the bhakti part that you offer, it becomes prasAdam. In principle, whatever you consume you should offer it first to the Lord and consume it with an attitude of prasAda buddhi - which involves a reverential attitude towards what you are consuming since it is now recognized that it is coming from Bhagavan. Hence it is not only food that you take in but whatever you takein with all the five sense should be taken in with that attitude of prasAda buddhi. Hence Krishna says - yat karoshi yat ashnaasi -- whatever you do or whatever you eat.. etc offere it to Me with Bhakti. In essence Bhakti is an essential ingradient of the offer - it is also recognition that He is the one who gives the results for all actions - hence yat karoshi - offer whatever you do - that becomes karmayoga. PrasAda involves acceptance without
 resistance - whether it is sweet, salty, tasty or not tasty, you accept it with referential attitude since it is coming from Him. The attitude involving non-reaction to the results of action should be involved in the prasAda buddhi - All this are meant for purification of the mind.

The fact is there is really nothing that belongs to you that you can offer, since you came into the world with nothing and when you leave you cannot take a penny with you - hence attitidue should be - tvadIyam vastu govinda tubhameva samarpaye - Oh Lord this is all yours but I am offering it to you since I have a notion that this is mine. It is your false ownership that you think is real is what you are offering since everything belongs to Him - nay everthing is Him only since He became everything.

PrasAdam also involves sharing with everybody - Hence whatever that comes from the Lord has to be shared with everyone. This becomes a means to develop detachment to the things that come due to praarabda or purushaartha. For the ritual part follow what Sriram wrote.

Hari Om!
Sadananda