[Advaita-l] Naivedya question

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 02:29:33 CDT 2013

If one has bhakti, then he will act as per the sastras for his own welfare or to set an example. If we don't act as per sastras, it is because we don't have sraddha. The fact is most of us have an academic interest and culture induced attachment to tradition and practices. There may be some experiences that props up our practices but that is about it. It is not possible to make a u-turn and go back to vedic roots. However, we can work to preserve those who on their own accord follow vaidhika dharma.

If someone performs rituals perfectly as learnt from his guru, it is enough. There is no separate step required to get in to bhakti bhava as each step in the prescribed ritual is to induce that towards the worshipped devata. On the other hand, if one says that he has bhakti bhava but does not follow the ritualistic procedures, he is just cheating himself. The bhagavatha exceptions in the smrti sastras are meant to highlight the greatness of bhakti and its ability to override commissions and omissions in rituals. I think.