[Advaita-l] saD vivarta vADa

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sun May 12 23:31:53 CDT 2013

>* I read in the books of Swami Akandananda of Vrindavan that SaD vivarta *>* vADa is the only possibility when the three sUktas nAsaDIya of Rigveda, *>* sarvamEgha sUkta of Yajurveda, and ucchisTa sUkta of Atharva veda have *>* to be reconciled.

*

The ucchiShTa sUkta occurs as the 7th sUkta in the 11th kANDa of the
atharva veda*. T*he sAyaNa bhAShya on the first mantra "ucChiShTe nAma
rUpaM cocChiShTe loka AhitaH..."

makes a link between this sUkta and the mantra of the muNDaka upaniShad:

tapasA cIyate brahma tatonnaM abhijAyate |

annAt.h prANo manaH satyaM lokAH karmasu cAmRutam.h ||

ucChiShTa (remainder) is intrepreted as remnants of the sacrifice,
from which name and form and hence, the whole world has sprung.
Another intrepretation provided by sAyaNa is

that ucChiSTa is what remains after negating the dRshya prapancha
(perceived world) on the strength of upanishadic statements, "neti
neti" and "neha nAnAsti kiMchana". What remains

after this negation is param brahma. "tasmin shuktyadau rajatavat nAma
rUpaM ceti dvidhAbhUtaM samastaM jagat AhitaM Aropitam.h" The entire
world, consisting of the two categories
Name and Form, is superimposed on that Brahman just as silver is
superimposed on nacre.

Anand*
*

*