[Advaita-l] Meet on Advaita Vedanta

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed May 29 07:21:13 CDT 2013

Whilst later texts can certainly aid one’s reflection, a deep direct
understanding of Shankara’s bhashya works, and Upadesha Sāhasrī should be
the commitment of every sincere sādhaka.
Ideally the sādhaka should also master Gauḍapāda’s Kārikās and
Suresvara’s Vārtikā works plus Naishkarmya
Siddhi.

praNAms Sri Subhanu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Sorry, here also you may hear the arguments from the scholars like : why
we should restrict our studies to the works of ONLY vArtikakAra and his
works??  why we should not refer other vyAkhyAna-s from bhAmati & vivaraNa
& upavyAkhyAna-s on these vyAkhyAna,  since these works too are the
contributions of saMpradAva vida-s and panchapAdika is ofcourse a work of
direct disciple of shankara like sureshwara.  And when it comes to
shankara's works, they would say that shankara along with upadesha sAhasri
written the other important prakaraNa grantha-s like viveka chUdAmaNi,
aparOkshAnubhuti etc. which has been considered as equally valid pramANa
prakaraNa grantha-s within the tradition and for that matter for the
viveka chUdAmaNi we have the commentary of H.H. Sri Sri Chandrashekhara
bhArati mahAswaminaH.  So, siddhAnta presented in works like this should
be in line with main prasthAna traya bhAshya of bhAshyakAra.  And it is
the opinion of some scholars here that without these vyAkhyAna-s it is
very difficult to understand the purports of certain adhikaraNa-s in sUtra
bhAshya.  So, along with vArtika, kArika, NS etc. other works too have
important role to play in arriving the shankara siddhAnta.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar