[Advaita-l] Samit Pani

Srirudra srirudra at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 02:19:25 CDT 2013

Dear Sri Venkatesh
Usually the Gurukula of yore was something akin to a college with hostel.Food was provided by the guru himself as he was a householder with his dharmapathni taking care of the needs of the food requirements of the disciples.The disciples will do the errands like washing clothes for the guru getting fuel woods - Lord Sri Krishna 's stay at Sri Sandeepani's ashram is an example.So a guru need not be a sanyasi.He will impart knowledge of the Vedas and Upanishads.Brahmajnanam is a subjective experience.What our Acharya says is that for Brahma Jnana Karma kanda is only a preliminary requirement and one should not  get stuck with it.He does not say Gurukulavasam is a waste.During Gurukula vasam Karma kanda has to be followed.R.Krishnamoorthy.

Sent from my iPad