[Advaita-l] Jambudveepa in our saMkalpa

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 5 08:28:38 CDT 2013

> To: science-religion-philosophy at googlegroups.com; advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org; advaitin at yahoogroups.com
> From: bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 11:17:27 +0530
> Subject: [Advaita-l] Jambudveepa in our saMkalpa
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> The below is a forwarded one...I found it as an interesting reading. Hope
> you too...
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar
>

> JAMBUDWIPA AND THE SANKALPA

Bhaskar, articles like these are always disappointing, because they go off on a tangent about Aryans,
Western missionaries, Indian government and education etc. After reading through it, I could not find
the author proposing a definitive answer to the question. All the northern continents may be part of
jambUdvIpa, but America and Europe are nevertheless not part of bhAratavarsha, bharatakhaNDa.
So, what are they? I find nothing and I wonder if the author does have an answer.

For what it is worth, all south Indian purohitas in the US whom I've seen say the saMkalpa as kraunca-
dvIpe, ramaNaka-varshe aindra-khaNDe, no matter whether they are Srauta-smArta or SrIvaishNava or
mAdhva. I have no idea what other traditions transplanted here say and I have no idea what they say
in Europe.

Vidyasankar