[Advaita-l] Padmapurana verse on Mayavada

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 8 11:15:51 CDT 2013

Either you do not want to admit  the meaning of  Nistraigunya  or you are unaware of its meaning.  With the three gunas the Maya or prakrti creates the world (with the Lord's assent) and only by being Nistraigunya one can be out of the clutch of the Maya. The Bhakti marga does not allow one to go beyond the Maya. Bhakti only helps one to live happily within the Maya or Prakriti as long as one does not slip out of the path of Bhakti. The Lord has created this world with his Maya and by remaining   in the path of Bhakti  the Bhakta can live happily.  The Jnani too lives within prakrti but that is only till  his videhamukti. Bhakta is never beyond the Maya or Prakrti. The moment the Bhakta falls from the path of Bhakti he or she will lose his happiness. That is why Kapila exhorts one to escape the Maya or Prakrti at the earliest opportunity and not to prolong the dillydallying with Prakrti. "yenātivrajya tri-guṇaṁ" does not mean one becoming
 traigunya.

You are nor right in assuming that the Advaitin desires for Mukti. The Advaitin does not desire for Mukti. The Advaitin acquires the Jnana and that is by the grace of the Sadguru as well as of Lord Krishna, who is the Jagadguru. That makes the Advaitin realize that he or she has never been Amukta. He is one with the Brahman.

The Bhagavatam itself says that the Bhakta does not get any type of Mukti. Anybody with open mind will  very well understand that the mental state of the Bhakta is such that he prefers to stay in the dark by clinging to the Ishvara through the rope of Bhakti and does not want to open the door to get the light of Jnana. The Advaita jnana may not come to such people in one birth.