[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Seeking clarification on Bri. Up. Mantra 1-4-2

H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Tue Apr 22 00:12:48 CDT 2014

Namaste.

Sri Subhanu wrote << In BUBV 1.4.57 Suresvara states that the main
purpose is just an illustration (pratipatti) to show that only true
knowledge
of Brahman brings true fulfilment [ityetat pratipattyartham virādsthānasya
kutsanam]. As such, the question of why or how Viraj became a jñānῑ should
not
be brought into this discussion. >> The last portion of the verse states
that the illustration is given to clarify why blame attaches to the state
of Viraj when earlier verses have been all praise for that state. The
question of how Viraj became a jnani is indeed raised by the purvapakshin
in verses 71-76 and answered by Sri Sureshwaracharya in verses 77-90.
Several objections are raised and answered. But the crux of the answer is
to be found in verses 77-81 wherein the word " sahasidhi " used in the
manusmriti quoted ( In verse 79 ) as the main reason is explained by the
Acharya in verse 81. He maintains that true knowledge dawned upon Viraj by
his further reflection on whatever he had learnt in his previous birth (
though it had not culminated in true knowledge at that time ) and not by
any instruction by any other person to him in this birth. This is what is
not acceptable to Sri Sadanandaji as I understand according to whom if
knowledge were to arise without any further instruction then he should have
got the knowledge in the previous birth itself. In support of his
contention that further instruction only could lead to knowledge he cites
the bhagavatham incident. As I could see from the vartika, no other reason
is adduced except the above which according to the Acharya is quite
satisfactory as per reasons given thereof.

Regards