[Advaita-l] Narayana in Advaita

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 18:28:12 CST 2014

The introduction to the Bhagavadgita bhAShyam has at the start this verse

नारायणः परोऽव्यक्तात् अण्डमव्यक्तसंभवम् ।

अण्डस्यान्तस्त्विमे लोकाः सप्तद्वीपा च मेदिनी ॥ [a purANic verse]

Narayana is beyond the avyakta; From the avyakta the Mundane Egg is born;
Within the Mundane Egg, verily, are these worlds and the Earth made up of
the seven dvipa-s.

The above 'status' of nArAyaNa as the One beyond the avyakta/unmanifest
(mAyA) is comparable with the kaThopaniShat mantra:

महतः परमव्यक्तमव्यत्कात पुरुषः परः पुरुषान्न परं किंचित्सा काष्ठा सा परा
गतिः ॥ कठोपनिषद /१/३/११

Beyond the mahat is avyakta and beyond avyakta is the puruSha. Nothing is
greater than the pupruSha which is the ultimate Goal.

Here, the nArAyaNa of the verse is seen to be replaced by the word puruSha.

We also have this mantra in the same upanishad :

विज्ञानसारथिर्यस्तु मनःप्रग्रहवान् नरः ।

सोऽध्वनः पारमाप्नोति तद्विष्णोः परमं पदम् ॥ 1.3.8 ॥

A man who has discrimination for his charioteer and holds the reins of the
mind firmly, reaches the end of the road; and that is the supreme state of
Vishnu.

Shankara comments for the 'state of VishNu' thus: //... the exalted state
of Vishnu, the all-pervading Consciousness.// viShNoH vyApanashIlasya [the
etymological meaning of the word viShNu]

regards

subrahmanian.v