[Advaita-l] Narayanaya in Advaita

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 21:21:42 CST 2014

Namaste
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM, H S Chandramouli
<hschandramouli at gmail.com>wrote:

> For that matter, they also ask what is the status of Reality of Lord
> Krishna himself . We can answer <<like shruti, he is also mithya >> . While
> they have no problem in accepting shruti as mithya ( even interpreted as
> Unreal ) they do have a mental  obstacle in accepting the same for Lord
> Krishna.

Many people here have said Krishna is also Mithya. There is a counter
point. Everything is Brahman also. Krishna is Brahman but the stone lying
in the street is also Brahman. Can we bring that stone home and worship it
like Krishna? No.
The stone is Mithya and Krishna is Mithya. Can we stop offering Puja to
Krishna's Saligrama because it is a stone? No.

The Principle is everything is Brahman but some things are closer
approximations to Brahman. The stone on the street is Brahman but Saligrama
shila is better approximation to Brahman.
Similarly, a man on the street is Mithya and Krishna with human body is
also Mithya. But man on street is more Mithya than Krishna. We will not
worship man on street.

Conclusion. In a way everything is Brahman. But some things are closer to
Brahman. In a way everything is Mithya but some things are less Mithya than
other things.

Example is given by Pandita Sri K. S. Varadacharya in introduction to Sri
Bhashya. He is telling Advaitis not to treat all Vastus equally. Ganga
river flows from Himalaya to many places. In some places it is flowing near
temples, in some places it is flowing in gutters and ditches. Will you take
bath in gutter water because it is Ganga? Is gutter water same as Gangotri
water because both are Ganga? Like this everything is Brahman but we cannot
give same respect and importance to all things.