[Advaita-l] siddhAnta kaumudi through BG - Any online material?

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Feb 12 22:04:37 CST 2014

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Venkata sriram P wrote:

> I would like to know if any online material is available to learn
> siddhAnta-kaumudi and pANini ashTAdhyAyi through bhagavat-gita.

I don't think so.  The Gaudiya Jiva Goswami wrote a grammar called hari
nama amrta where all the technical terms are names of Krshna.  I don't
know if the explanations, if any, are from the gita or bhagavata etc. they
might be.  Actually I don't think the gita would make a good source for
learning grammar per se because the itihasa and puranas in general tend to
use very simple language.  It is good text to practice with though.

There is an ingenious mahakavya called Ravanavadha or Bhatti kavya (after
its author.  Bhatti is supposed to be the prakrit name of the famous
grammarian Bhartrahari.) This tells the story of the Ramayana and
simultaneously explains all the paninian sutras.

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ wrote:

> I remember that long back Gita Press, Gorakhpur , published Laghukaumudi
> with lakshyas from Gita. It does not appear to be available now.

I have this and its a very good edition but it doesn't use the gita for
its examples.